The University of Canberra (UC) is a modern university which emphasizes professional development and not just academic learning. It is rising in world university rankings.
- UC offers online business courses via Ducere Business School.
- UC students gain access to hands-on training opportunities, including internships.
- UC graduates generally do well in the job market.
Students: 16,989 (4,149 international, 54% female)
ATAR entry: 68 (standard minimum score)
About the University of Canberra
The University of Canberra offers more than 300 courses, many with a strong practical focus.
- Internships or work experience are often available.
- UC also offer courses which Canberra’s other university, ANU, does not, like: physiotherapy, pharmacy, occupational therapy, exercise physiology and rehabilitation and teacher training.
Although UC is not normally considered prestigious (which is common for young universities), students still do nicely in terms of job and pay outcomes.
UC offers flexible study options for students, with classes in the evening, on weekends or in intensive study blocks.
- 85% of UC undergraduate students use some form of flexible study mode, which is significantly higher than other universities which may have as few as 17% of their students in flexible modes.
- UC has a large population of mature age students who are studying part-time while they work.
There’s big plans to expand the campus, including a new public hospital, aged care facility, cancer care centre and residential buildings.
- Health students will do well from the health facilities with access to clinical placements and health professionals.
- Planning, design and construction students will do well too as they will get a chance to work on the new developments as part of their degrees.
UC is in a good location just a short drive from Canberra city centre.
- Students are within walking distance of Belconnen Town Centre, which has shops, cafes, cinemas, the lake, walking tracks and public transport.
- UC has a large campus with trees and green space, kangaroos and other wildlife.
UC offers an on-campus accommodation guarantee for (i) all first-year students and (ii) all international students for the duration of their studies.
Details: Accommodation guarantee
Not every university can offer this and it takes the pressure off finding somewhere to live if you are new to Canberra.